Subject: Re: Bring Your Own Accompanist
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Thu, 20 Aug 1998 02:18:29 EDT

I have noticed with no small interest the postings on the list about auditions
and so here is my two cents.
First, if you are to use the accompanist provided fine.  Make sure the music
is readable--preferable in a loose leave three ring binder notebook--and make
sure it is marked with any and all breath markings, cuts, etc.
Even so, make sure you let the accompanist know these things before you start.
Do NOT expect the accompanist at an audition for an opera company to transpose
on sight.  I do that sometimes but that is because I do a lot of musical
theater.  Opera pianists usually do not transpose on sight, although I do know
of some who do and they are a very welcome if rare bird.
Bringing your own accompanist is of course the best solution.
Also as a person who has sat--and will sit--through many auditions, remember
these rules: 1) dress appropriately.  Neat and not gaudy.  No loud colors and
a simple look. 2) Believe me, any person worth his salt can tell what you have
to offer within about 30 seconds of your audition piece.  Do not chose a long
piece, please. 3) Choose something that you can "sing in your sleep."  That
way the auditioners can see and hear you at your very best. 4) Always have two
contrasting works.  By contrast I mean style, language (This is important!)
and general mood.  We like choices.
Just a few thoughts.
John Ed Niles
elchnase