Subject: WWW site - level of interest
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sat, 15 Aug 1998 12:15:22 -0800

School's out, the Met's not broadcasting and it's the weekend - so
I'll waste a post on some information about activity at my WWW site.

The previous record for activity in a week was the Rysanek page,
about 600 MB. Normal traffic is about 400 MB these days; last week's
Tagliavini page was unusually busy at about 480 MB. However, the La
Scala ''Lucrezia Borgia'' had almost 1000 MB transferred. That means
that about 200 people heard at least one of the sound clips. The
most popular was Fleming's aria with the two finales close behind.
I'm a bit disappointed that Pertusi's contribution was not more
popular since I consider it to have been so well sung, but about 100
people downloaded it, so at least there are copies around.

To put the above in perspective: I was informed when I switched
ISP's over a year ago that a busy personal site might approach 30 MB
per month. I guess that if I sold advertising space, I could pay for
the page - but rest assured that I won't.

Sometimes I'm disappointed that pages which I feel should be of
exceptional interest don't get the traffic I would hope - and that
one I feel is routine gets a lot of activity. In the case of the
Borgia, I was expecting results similar to those achieved.

Anyway, thanks for dropping by and rest assured that in time there
will be another CD-ROM to let you retrieve the hard drive space
you're spending now to hold the files you want. Eventually, I may
even put together a full disc of just augmented versions of the WWW
pages (and, perhaps, include the fixes to the ones with mistakes).

Mike

http://mrichter.simplenet.com
CD-R http://resource.simplenet.com