Subject: Opera News- new look
From: Ed Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 19 Aug 1998 14:40:38 -0400

Hi-

I just received my September issue of Opera News, and was quite
impressed with it's new look.

Since it's now a monthly, it is much thicker than we're used to.  And
the paper stock is also of better quality.

The issue features a tribute to Domingo for his 30 years at the Met.
The cover picture is very unflattering, IMO.  Surely they could have
found a better picture.  The lengthy interview with Domingo is most
interesting and makes for good reading.

There's a much more flattering picture on page 18 of this issue.  It's a
picture of fellow opera-l'r Rodney Gilfry, with an interesting short
feature about him.

I love the opening issue of each season mostly because of all the casts
and advertisements of different opera companies in the U.S. and other
countries.  Did you know that the Houston Grand Opera is doing 11
performances of  an opera by Verdi that I never heard of- something
called "La Triviata."  Really- see their ad on page 53.  (Isn't there a
board game with that same name?)

The issue is full of tributes to Domingo from the many record companies
he's recorded for, which is to say just about every record company in
the world.  They are tasteful and fitting tributes.

As some of you may know, I have never been a Domingo fan.  If someone
had come to me in the late 70's and made me a bet that Domingo would
still be singing, and singing well, in the late 90's, I would have bet
everything I have that he would not be, and I would have lost.  I admire
his versatility and artistry, while still not being a big fan of his.

Best,
Ed
Ed Rosen<[log in to unmask]>
Legato Classics, Inc.