Subject: Re: Federico Garcia Lorca poet/musician/playwright
From: Dyalma Ocasio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 19 Aug 1998 12:26:58 -0400

> From: Frank Hamilton
> Date: Wednesday, August 19, 1998 9:06 AM
>
> Dear List,
>
> Federico Garcia Lorca disappeared shortly after his arrest in 1936
> during the Spanish Civil War.  His execution or murder was perhaps
> motivated as much by his sexuality as his politics.  Even before his
> death, the poet and play-writer was considered one of Spain's great
> national treasures.  Today, many consider him Spain's greatest poet.

Hi listers!

I've been lurking your newsgroup and would like to briefly introduce
myself.  I am a ex Spanish teacher turned Judiciary Interpreter who loves
opera and is an amateur singer.  I just had to add to this wonderful post
that FGL's play "La casa de Bernarda Alba" (The house of Bernarda Alba) is
considered one of the greatest plays of the 20th C.  Lorca's literature is
of universal significance.  My question: Have there been any operas based
on his plays or on his life?

Regards,
Dyalma Ocasio