Subject: Re: "Magic Flute" Defeats Miller/Also Amara/Exclusive contracts
From: "John W. Carr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 19 Aug 1998 08:49:05 -0700

James Bodge wrote:
snip>
> The problem Miller describes IS very real and exists on several levels, e.g.
>
> 1.  The Queen becomes the villain after being established as a victim
> 2.  Sarastro becomes a benign, god like hero after being established as a
> kidnapping patriarchal monster.
<snip>

Jim: Enjoyed your commentary on my friend Charles Schug's review of the
Miller Zauberflote at Santa Fe. Perhaps you could ecxplain why the two
items I have quoted are a "problem" - I always thought they simply
exemplified the ancient topos "things aren't always what they first
appear to be" - a concept one runs across constantly in art and
literature and certainly a favorite modern concept. Why should that be a
"problem" for a modern like Miller?

Regards, John Carr