Subject: Studentspex; Re: Improbable Wagner Singers (Re: Terfel at Ravinia)/Hagegard
From: Per Backstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 18 Aug 1998 07:12:51 +0200

Aristophanes and G&S were compared recently. It struck me that the
Swedish tradition Studentspex too might be an outspring of Aristophanes,
or maybe Offenbach. Studentspex, a tradition starting in the last
century,  takes a historic episode and changes it a little. Funny texts
set to stolen melodies, nothing new, even Bellman stole. I heard
recently that in older days it was often thought a honor if someone
borrow your melody for a composition. Earlier mostly opera musiv were
used, bt nowadays I'm afraid classic pop songs are often used too.

A funny thing with Studentspex is that men sing also female roles. When
the tradition started girl were not supposed to study. But Stockholm
School of Economics have let the girls in to spexing, singing male
roles!

Is there a similar tradition in other countries too?
-------------------
James Bodge wrote:
> I disagree with the subject title above: I think Terfel would be wonderful
> as Wolfram;

I never meant to question Terfel's possibilities as a Wagner singer.

And now I know that Hagegard could sing Wolfram, even at the Met.
Perhaps it's due to good projection. Maybe I should have used a question
mark. It's a pity Hagegard had left Royal Swedish Opera when they did
Tannhauser.

Someone told me that a deciding point in Terfel's decision to become a
singer was hearing Hagegard, though I do think Terfel has a bigger
voice.

But I was right about Te Kanawa.
--
Per Backstrom