Subject: Re: Suggested Opera Plots...
From: MusiConneXions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 11 Aug 1998 00:21:55 -0400

Hi Patrick--et al,

For a Master's thesis I'll be writing an opera libretto based on Joseph
Conrad's HEART OF DARKNESS.  I'm not sure it is a wise choice--but I'm all
but committed to this topic--(cringe!).  Nor am I sure why I'm 'driven' to
take this on.  We'll see!

I have a great mentor to work with, which strongly influenced my decision
to write an opera libretto as my thesis.  After he alerted me to many
possible 'red flags' I decided against the HEART OF DARKNESS idea.
However, he insists that I proceed, says such an endeavor is less to
satisfy an academic requirement than 'for the soul'--!!!  I didn't realize
I was working on this degree for my soul--but then, why not??   However, I
also need to come up with a credible libretto worth thesis credit.

Any encouraging (or, for that matter, discouraging or neutral) comments
will be appreciated!

Cheers,
Mary Jane Ruhl