Subject: Shicoff and Terfel at Tanglewood
From: JOEBABE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 9 Aug 1998 03:16:23 -0400

Hi people
My first post on Opera-L.  I want to tell you about the concert last night
at Tanglewood featuring Neil Shicoff,  Bryn Terfel, the Boston Symphony,
and the Tanglewood Festival Chorus.  Shicoff sang Recondita armonia from
Tosca, O fede negar potessi from Luisa Miller and Il etait une fois a la
cour d'Esinbach from Contes d'Hoffman.  Terfel sang Ehi paggio from
Falstaff, Iago's Credo, and the Toreador Song from Carmen (which he
burlesqued and I don't blame him.).  They sang two duets, E lui! desso!
lInfante from Don Carlo and Au fond du temple saint from the Pearl Fishers.
 Both of them were excellent -- the most successful numbers on the program.

I don't know what the critics will say, but from the audience's point of
view, it was WOW!
I, personally, had a good time, but sadly, I learned again that it is
impossible to perform well and try to project to 5000 people in the Shed
and another 5 or 10 thousand out on the lawn.  The guys did their best.
Terfel was by far the more successful.  He was able to generate the power
without destroying the beauty of his voice.  Shicoff projected well, but at
times it sounded more like shouting than singing.  His intonation was
excellent, but his instrument, unfortunately, is what it is -- not bad, but
not beautiful, and certainly no Bjoerling.

However both of them were most winning in their ways..  They captivated the
large audience, and may indeed have made many converts to opera.  The
second half of the concert was a "crossover" with songs from the musical
theater.  The two singers played off each other very well -- there was a
good spirit and lots of humor.  There is no question in my mind that this
twosome would be a huge success on a tour a la Three Tenors fiasco.  (I
hope they don't do it.).

Terfel is a presence in every way -- visually, musically, personally.  He
is giving a recital this Tuesday.  I wish I could stay to hear it.

Joe