Subject: Re: Outdoor Opera (was: Traviata at Villa Montalvo)
From: "Paul A. Kearney" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 8 Aug 1998 21:02:03 -0400

----------
From:  Myfanwy Megann
Sent:  Saturday, August 08, 1998 4:19 AM
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Traviata at Villa Montalvo

[snip] Otherwise the
sound was excellent.  The operas are done in the open air, in a lovely
theatre at the back of the villa.  There was no amplification, and
everyone could be heard clearly throughout the area.[snip]

Dear Listers,

This post reminded me of something that has bugged me for a while.  Is it really possible for opera to be presented outdoors without amplification?  I thought that without the resonance of the theater walls, ceiling, etc., the sound would be lost more than a few yards from the singers.  I generally don't rush to experience outdoor opera, such as that presented at the Filene Center of Wolf Trap, Santa Fe, Arena di Verona, the Met in the Parks, etc.  I've always assumed that what you are hearing is coming out of loudspeakers, and not directly from the singer's vocal cords to your ears.

But this post, as well as the recent thread on the open air theater in Sopot, which some posters described as having superb acoustics (?), got me thinking that maybe I'm wrong.

Is there really such a think as outdoor opera that's not electronically enhanced?  Am I wrong to be such a purist?

Thanks.

Paul Kearney
Washington, DC