Subject: EMI's new remastering of Pagliacci with Bjoerling
From: Michael Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 14 Aug 1998 14:22:06 -0400

Hello fellow opera-l'ers,

In midst of this Seattle Tristan debate, I figured I would deliver some
great news for fans of the Cellini Pagliacci recording with de los
Angeles, Bjoerling, Warren, and Merrill.

Last week I received a "good news" email from Bill Kasimer.  Apparently
he took the plunge and bought the newly released and remastered
recording of this Pagliacci.  After receiving the good news from him I
quickly ordered my copy from Music Boulevard.

I just finished listening to it today and although it was not a thorough
and inspective listening the differences are enormous from the
previously CD release.

If any of you remember, I complained about the old CD release with its
annoying pre-echo.  Well it is ALL gone!!!  In fact, this remastering is
so superb that it makes the 2 CD releases sound like COMPLETELY
different recordings.  The voices are much more present and clear in
this new remastering.  You really HEAR the voices clearly in this
remastering.

I am so glad that I bought it.  After getting many responses from
people, it seemed as though that that pre-echo crap would be there
regardless.  I don't know if they used this new Prism SNS system to get
rid of it or if they found another master tape, but EMI really did it
this time.  WOW the difference is amazing!  It was remasterd by Andrew
Walter and if this work is any reflection of past or future work, then
all I have to say is bravo Mr. Walter!  Finally EMI did it right and I
am thankful for this.

If any of you are interested in getting this recording, here is the URL
from Music Boulevard.

 http://www.musicblvd.com/cgi-bin/tw/14833_43_548656

If you're a fan of this opera or of Bjoerling's artistry, this is a must
for your collection.

--
Michael Black
http://www.stairway.org/bjorling/