Subject: Re: Salome in French
From: uproar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 14 Aug 1998 14:34:06 +0200

Dear Neil and list,
There are two official versions of Salomé in French, the first one
using as much as possible of Wilde's original text, which is the
version recorded by Nagano with Karen Huffstodt on Virgin. After
the first performances, don't ask me how much later, it was
decided that a new translation was needed that would more closely
respect the melodic lines of the German version, which is when the
Marliave version was made. I believe, however, that Strauss himself
made the changes in the melodic lines when the first French
version was made.
Incidentally, if my memory serves, Marliave was the husband of
Marguerite Long, killed in WWI and is the author of a book about
the Beethoven string quartets that was once available in English
from Dover.
Joel Kasow
joel kasow - operanet
http://www.culturekiosque.com