Subject: Re: New Gala Adriana: Caballe, Domingo
From: Mike Begley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 13 Aug 1998 23:37:30 -0400

and >frankly, the sound is better by far than the current Met broadcasts.

What I expected is a well-balanced, well imaged recording with no obvious
tonal distortion.  The bass on this recording is very exaggerated, and every
voice acquires a bit of "edge" that expereience tells me was not the way it
sounded in the house.  Current MET broadcasts are, in my opinion, sonically
challenged  - it sounds as though all the voices are recorded via lapel
mics.  Even so, I would say the broadcasts I have heard are better than this
Lecouvreur.  I would agree that the source is an FM stereo broadcast, but I
find the sound less pleasing than, say, the Vienna Don Carlo on Opera d'Oro,
and most recordings that originate from stereo broadcasts in the last 2
decades.  In any case, I am glad you enjoyed the performance, I think we can
agree that the sound is "at worst" acceptable, and it is a terrific bargain.

Regards,
Mike

P.S. I don't appreciate being referred to as "Honey" by anyone except my
wife.