Subject: Re: Charmless Elisir
From: Greg Fitzmaurice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 13 Aug 1998 23:35:35 EDT

<< Alagna was loud and unvaried all evening.  I liked her
 rather more than I thought I would, but the class act of the performance
 was Alaimo.   >>

Personally I rather enjoyed the performance, but then again I've never seen
L'Elisir before.  I think it is misguided to compare Gheorgiu & Alagna with
the greats of the past (including Pavarotti and Carreras).  Perhaps someone
would like to post what they think would be a great present-day L'Elisir cast.

I don't really understand the praise I am hearing for Alaimo though.  Am I to
understand that the posters to this list place him in a category with Corena
and Baccaloni?

Greg F
Durham, NC