Subject: Re: Charmless Elisir
From: James Bodge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 13 Aug 1998 18:24:19 -0400

At 12:57 AM 8/13/98 -0400, Charles Handelman wrote:
>     I have had the Lyon Elisir for awhile and saw it once,but forgot a
>lot,so wanted to give it another try. I feel the same now as i seemed to
>recall I did at first..it is CHARMLESS for the most part,and i blame
>Signore Alagna for that.

I certainly concur.  Alagna was loud and unvaried all evening.  I liked her
rather more than I thought I would, but the class act of the performance
was Alaimo.  Scaltrici should watch this video so he knows how unflattering
the side-of-the-mouth routine can be.  That said, he is, a fine talent who
should be encouraged.  I'll keep the tape, the production was enjoyable
except for some repetitive stage business now and then, and it was nice to
see the piece treated on a very human scale and not as either cartoon farce
or spectacle.

Cheers from Boston,

Jim Bodge  [log in to unmask]