Subject: Callas Autobiography
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Wed, 12 Aug 1998 13:08:10 EDT

        Just as Alma Bond was going "no mail," I--by the strangest coincidence,
received (as what you might call 'assigned reading') her much-reviled
"Autobiography of Maria Callas." My concern here is a simple one: Since I am
quite unfamiliar with the minutiae of Callas' career, though well conversant
with its larger scope and trajectory, I'd like solicit comments as to the
**factual accuracy** of Dr. Bond's book (Particularly from our List-master?).
Private replies are fine, even wonderful. Please, please, please refrain from
commenting on the more subjective qualities of the book--it's not worth *your*
time & energy, because I'm just trying to plumb-bob the depths of Dr. Bond's
research. In short, are there any factual boners? Can one detect reliably
where research leaves off and speculation begins? So far, I've noticed a '57-8
vintage "Callas" writing that she was supplanted as Norma by "a little-known
soprano named Anita Cerquetti," which would be a bit like saying the Leontyne
Price of 10 years later was substitued for as Aida by a little-known soprano
named Martina Arroyo. So please, just the facts, and it's probably better to
send them privately rather than cluttering up the list with [pompous fanfare,
please] One Man's Quest For The Truth. Thank you all, in advance.