Subject: M. Rinaldi -a real lady
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Wed, 12 Aug 1998 05:53:25 EDT

Dear Opera-L'ers,
Enzo's assessment of M. Rinaldi is fine and accurate. What it does miss is the
fact that La Rinaldi was a "real lady". She was the "nicest" "diva" I have
ever had to work behind.
Perhaps that is why such a lovely voice and really radiant personality never
"made it big" - she didn't seem to have it in her to "push" herself - or have
herself "pushed". She was as far as I could see a perfect colleague to the
likes of Kraus,  Bruscantini, and Cappuccilli, and they all "behaved" in her
presence - something especially Sgr. Cappuccilli didn't always do at other
times. (He could be a real "rascal".)
I don't want to give the impression of some kind of latter-day Italian opera
singing version of Loretta Young - Rinaldi wasn't "candy coated" or
saccharine, but she was sweet. And that sweetness had a peculiar fragility and
vulnerability to it that was most appealing.
Thank you, Enzo, for bringing up some really wonderful memories. Her PURITANI
with Kraus, Cappuccilli, and Paolo Washington - and her TRAVIATA with Kraus
and Bruscantini - are performances that I have long cherished.
Yours in Seattle - with a huge smile thinking of La Rinaldi
Paul Gudas