Subject: Re: Renee Fleming booed at La Scala
From: uproar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Jul 1998 12:00:19 +0000

Dear List,
As someone who listened to the Borgia broadcast the other evening,
let me first state that the French radio announcer was sufficiently
incompetent that he did not pick up the change in tenors, something
evident once the singing started.
Fleming, two high notes apart, was excellent, offering a complete
performance, vocally, and I was shocked when I heard the booing over
the radio, clearly the work of a claque - whether paid or not - out
to get the soprano, for whatever reason. Her singing was far more
energized than it has been recently, as is only natural when singing
a fiendish cabaletta. Yes, Ganassi has a problem with her lower
register when she has to project over a chorus and orchestra, but her
top is glorious. I am less than enthusiastic over Gelmetti who speeds
up almost uncontrollably at the ends of arias or in the big choral
sections.
Unable to refrain from contributing my two euros,
Joel
joel kasow - operanet
http://www.culturekiosque.com