Subject: The "original" Emma Albani
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Thu, 9 Jul 1998 15:14:56 EDT

Dear Opera-L'ers,
For those of you who have found some of OUR "Emma Albani" 's postings
interesting and provocative - I thought I would look up the "original" one's
career at the Met.
One season: 1891-92  (29 performances - 15 at the Met - 14 elsewhere)
DON GIOVANNI: Donna Elvira (4)
FAUST: Marguerite (1)
DER FLEIGENDE HOLLANDER: Senta (2)
LES HUGUENOTS: Valentine (10)
LOHENGRIN: Elsa (2)
DIE MEISTERSINGER VON NURNBERG: Eva (4)
OTELLO: Desdemona (2)
RIGOLETTO: Gilda (3)
Plus one "Gala" and one "Miscellaneous" performance

It must have been an interesting voice - the repertoire for one season is more
varied
than any singer I can think of in recent memory. So my question is: Does this
choice of "alias" somehow bear on the actual identity of our "Emma Albani"?

We know that some men have chosen female "pen-names" - but usually as a joke.
Others have chosen the names of their favorite singers to use. But why choose
the name of a once famous-now relatively obscure singer from a century ago as
"nom de plume"? (My own E-Mail name, Girgud, is from the first syllables of my
Significant Other's last name and mine: GIRvitz and GUDas. It ended up this
way because we both use this line and a compromise was found.)

I can only admit that I am super-intruiged by "Emma Albani". She (I assume the
gender is really female) has to have been a singer - or at very least a major
league coach - she knows too much to be a "civilian". And if she is in contact
with people like Mirella Freni - as one reads in her version of the Scala
BORGIA events - she must have travelled/is still travelling in fairly high
circles. Who knows? Someday she will stand up and open her cloak (a la
Vanderdecken in HOLLANDER) and reveal herself. And jaws will drop. I can't
wait.

She is very opinionated - but very informed. And there seems to be no
compunction about her speaking her mind - at least while her real identity
remains cloaked. Who knows what would happen if her expressed opinions could
be accurately attributed?

"Emma", keep it up! Some of us out here love you! (Even if we don't agree 100%
with some of your thoughts.)

Yours in Seattle - and Curious as Hell,
Paul Gudas