Subject: Re: Detectives needed for some obscure sopranos
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Thu, 9 Jul 1998 12:39:09 EDT

Well, I will attempt to answer some of your questins.

Lucielle Browning (Suzuki on the RCA excpts of Butterfly with Albanese and
Melton (1946), Maxine Stellman, and Annamary Dickie had careers as
comprimarias and occasional second lead roles at the Met in the 40's and early
50's.  They are featured on a number of RCA recordings.  Polyna Stoska began
what might have been a major career in the late forties, at the City Center,
then the Met and eventually Europe, including Covent Garden.  I have been told
that it was a fine instrument that never quite made it to the top.  She made
some recordings for Columbia, including the first cast of Street Scene, which
she did on Broadway.  Jane Pickens was an actress and now New York society
lady.  I believe her name is Jane Pickens Langhorne or is it Langley.  Anyway,
she is a fixture at society fundraisers.  Florence Page Kimball was of course
the great teacher of Leontyne Price.  Hope this helps.

Don