Subject: Re: Nancy Tatum
From: David Fox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Jul 1998 12:11:48 -0400

At 12:04 PM 7/9/98, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>As far as I can deduce, Tatum made only one studio recording:  an aria recital
>for the Decca label.  Reviewing her performance of "Un ob die Wolke" from Der
>Freischuetz for the out-of-print Opera on Record, Alan Blyth describes Tatum
>as "too off-hand," concluding that the recording is "little more than a
>souvenir" of the soprano's career.

I can add only one detail.  Tatum made at least one other record -- a
recital of American song, also for Decca/London.  This record was even less
appetizing than the aria recital.  At least the former had a certain amount
of vocal size and presence; in the songs Tatum chose, that was not a
positive factor, and we were left only with the lack of refinement.

DF

David Fox, Associate Director
College Houses and Academic Services
University of Pennsylvania