Subject: Re: Renee Fleming booed at La Scala -Reply
From: Lucio PERES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 14 Jul 1998 19:33:11 +0200

I regret to have seen this post late...

At 06.54 09/07/98 -0500, Gordon Young <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Reading the comments concerning Fleming's Lucrezia has been fun and I
agree with the lister who said he would like to have been there . . . me too.

If you mean to be able to attend an excellent & memorable performance yes,
if you refer to witness the rude exploits of the loggionists/ scalpers I
don' t agree.

>Lux, are all of the problems at La Scala caused by scalpers?

No, there is another big problem: the Superintendent C. Fontana.

> Your constant complaints on this subject are getting a bit tedious and
you are >beginning to sound like a dreadful xenophobe.

Infact I' m quite aware of this and apologize, but you understand that if
the current status of the regulations prevents me to enter La Scala, I
remain easily upset, apart from the fact that I don' t have any subject to
propose to the list since I forgot all the operas I saw 30 years ago (I
didn' t use to take notes...) and my discoteque is not so rich... (well
then, you' d say...     ha ha   8;-)))

On the other hand I cannot share Marco' s respectable opinion that there
are "good" scalpers and "bad" ones: the romantic view that scalping is an
intrinsic feature in the tradition of all opera houses is difficult to be
digested by me if I receive a damage as well as the damage that all the
spectators who paid the tickets receive from those cretini rude
"loggionists" who interrupt the performances of great artists disturbing
their concentration.

BTW I' m pleased to report that yesterday I attended the third Lucrezia
repeat starring Fleming together with a group of friends from IAMC
(it.arti.musica.classica) and it was the best of the three. Also Sabbatini
was in the cast, even if IMHO not at his best.
Ms Fleming did only a slight mistake in the Prologue and was superb in Act
I and II both from a vocal and a dramatic point of view. The tremendeous
final cabaletta was close to perfection. At last a good success with great
applauses from the whole public and claims of Brava!

At the artists' exit in an ideal passage of roles I first shaked hands with
Leyla Gencer, who was introduced to me by her former agent and told she
enjoyed the interpretation, and then kissed Ms Fleming's hand while
complimenting with her and asking autograph!
Folks, it 's not true you have to die to go to Paradise!
LUX