Subject: Re: The wonderful, the acceptable and the lousy
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:55:28 EDT

In a message dated 7/14/98 9:25:07 AM EST, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< The idea that an audience and performers might devote their time, money and
 effort to a work that is believed to be anything less than wonderful is
 very strange. To my taste, in opera (and many other things) acceptable and
 lousy are synonymous. >>

Dear Mark and list:

Here goes my last posting of the day, but I feel that Mark's comments deserve
a reply.

First of all, I was talking about my taste--not someone else's. So, I would
call Maria Stuarda acceptable. (My problem with it is simple--the tenor's
music isn't to my taste; the soprano's is beautiful, but since my time is
limited, I rarely ever bother with sopranos. Why listen to a soprano when I
can listen to a tenor??) De gustibus. Seriously, though, loads of people love
Stuarda.

Now on a scale of 1 to 10 let's call ten wonderful, zero lousy. Surely Mark
will agree that there are gradations in between. And, of course, if I were to
invest in putting on an opera, I would want a rating of close to ten. But, if
I buy recordings, 5 is probably good enough, especially dealing with an opera
as a whole. I do own a Maria Stuarda. May even listen to parts of it every ten
years or so.

I might even get a one, just because it has one nice tenor aria I like.

Sorry about the typos.

Cheers

Tom