Subject: Re: Re : "Honor among Thieves"
From: Ann Feeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 13 Jul 1998 18:48:58 -0500

Tom's point would be a lot more effective if the pirates weren't paid for
their copy--once--just the opera house is paid just once for the pirate's
ticket (or receives the sponsor's money once for the broadcast.)

So isn't copying the pirate CDs and selling them the logical conclusion
of pirating?  After all, the opera house (which is the original source) is
paid for one person to be seated.  That person creates a copy, multiplies
it and sells it, without paying the opera house further for the services
involved in getting the singers/orchestra/crew/operating staff. The
justification is that the opera house was already paid, all singers
everywhere adore the practice, and that art should be shared.  Then
another person pays for one copy, multiplies it, and sells it, without
paying the original recorder further for the services of the
engineers/operating staff. If the opera house wasn't compensated more than
once, why should the person who compensated the house no more than once
expect to receive renumeration beyond the price of that one copy,
equivalent to that one ticket? After all, the opera house was already
paid, all singers everywhere adore the practice, and art is being shared!

Ann Feeney [log in to unmask] (312)269-1189