Subject: Re: My wedding - revisited with the 3 tenors.
From: Opera Cat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 13 Jul 1998 17:57:49 EDT

Dear Lea and List....What a beautiful post!  Oh, I used to call things like
this (and opera, itself) maudlin, corny.  But times have changed.  I love
to read about other listers' emotional joy related to discovering or
listening to opera, operetta, lied, ....and relating it to everyday life.

When I was quite young, all  you heard at weddings was the pop song
du jour, like "You've Only Just Begun".  Nothing really wrong with that,
but "Ich Libe Dich" and "Because", must have been incredible.  And sung
by a tenor!!!!  Heaven!

I'm really amazed at how much I now love Franz Lehar and all the Austrian
Schmaltz.  Also Kalman's "Countess Maritza".  When L.A. Opera announced
that they were going to do that, last season, I groaned.  Now I can't
stop listening to it AND singing it.

There is one lied, I believe it's by Robert Stolz (sp).  It's called "Das
Lied ist Aus".  Again, sorry for any misspelling.  This is not very
appropriate for a wedding, but what a gorgeous song.  And to be
very correct, I think this is German, rather than Austrian.  But still,
it has that wonderful feeling.

I have this fantasy of going to Vienna in winter and walking by all
the cafes and hearing this music pouring out into the streets.  But
maybe they just play rock and rap, like they do everywhere else.
Austrian rap couldn't be any worse than Italian rap.

Thank you, Lea, for sharing such a wonderful memory and such a
positive view of the worth of the 3-T concerts.

Regards, Cat