Subject: Re: Bel Canto Tenors
From: Per Backstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Jul 1998 08:04:00 +0200

[log in to unmask] wrote:
 However, any tenor who
> would attempt to try and perform some approximation of the florid technique of
> the time, with its reported, liberal employment of head voice and "voix mixte"
> would be regarded as some kind of g*d d**ned sissy. I mean, real men *don't*
> sing that way, right?

As I mentioned in my report about Lakme in Bordeaux I heard both
Rockwell Blake and Matthew Polenzani as Gerald, and liked Polenzani
better, because he was more lyric, and often sang the top notes by
thinning the voice out, in a tasteful way. He sang a few top notes with
full voice though, maybe to show that he could? Or probably because more
power was needed. Rockwell Blake sang all the top notes with full voice,
and it was not very beautiful.

If I remember right Bruce Ford do not use full voice for top notes
either. And I find him a tasteful singer too.
--
Per Backstrom
Stockholm,Sweden