Subject: Re: Claque: one of these things is not like the other
From: Hlf Footz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Jul 1998 11:00:09 EDT

In a message dated 98-07-07 10:57:26 EDT, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< la Fleming
 may not have much success in the bel canto repertoire, especially with
 recorded performances of great Lucrezias such as Caballe and Sutherland
 at our fingertips??? >>

I saw Caballe do Lucrezia in her American debut and she was marvelous.
Sutherland in this role is not terribly interesting. The role may not suit
Fleming tempermentally, but her Rosmonda d'Inghilterra on Opera Rara gives
ample evidence of her ability as a Donizetti singer. Either she was out of
sorts vocally or something more is afoot here. The press loves this sort of
thing. For all I know this may well have been the same kind of loony who
disrupted Scotto's Luisa Miller. I will wait until I read the criticism of
someone who saw the performance, whose critical judgment I trust, before
coming to any conclusion.

Murray