Subject: Another 500 years for `La Celestina'?
From: Janos_Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 31 May 1998 00:57:39 -0700

        My unpleasant task is to shoot down my own scoop
of last year, that Joaquin Nin-Culmell's `La Celestina'
would premiere in Barcelona's Liceo when it reopens in 1999 --
a timing that would have been superb, coming on the
500th anniversary of the world's oldest novel.

        The 89-year-old composer just returned from
Barcelona where Joan Matabosch, the GM, told him that
the Liceo will not reopen until 2000... if then.

        The next possibility for the premiere: Bloomington
next year.

        Meanwhile, there is a strong rumor that Victoria
de los Angeles will change her mind about complete retirement
(following the death of her son of kidney failure), and
will participate in the Met tribute to her next year,
if she can.

--
Not without Ginger, you don't!