Subject: Re: Wake-up calls (whimsical tangent)
From: Jane Ennis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 29 May 1998 13:52:08 +0100

> Date:    Thu, 28 May 1998 12:10:55 -0400
> From:    Nancy Tague <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Wake up calls (whimsical tangent)
>
>  . . .on an already whimsical thread.
>
> Greg writes:
>
> > I'm surprised no one has mentioned Brunnhilde's "Heil der
> Sonne" from Siegfried.
<snip>

 Andrew Porter wrote an extremely fine introduction to his translation of the RING,
> discussing in his usual stylish and insightful manner the various problems
> and necessities of making singing translations. Unfortunately,
> for me,  he offered the following example:
>
> "I can think of no English phrase that correctly 'articulates'
> the  awakening  Bruennhilde's 'Heil dir, Sonne!' except 'Hi there,
> Sunshine!'----and that won't do."
>
> Well, no, it won't. But once read, impossible to forget. And,
> sorry to say,  I can no longer listen to--or even
> think of--that  particular (erstwhile moving) moment without a
> small  giggle bubbling up.

<snip>

> BTW, Porter settled for "Hail, bright sunlight!"
>
> Nancy
>
> ------------------------------

The very first mailing I ever sent to opera-l - about 5 years ago, I
think! = was on this very topic! We were discussing opera translations,
and I quoted the above as an example of the difficulties of operatic
translation. What Porter says here is true - "Hi there, sunshine" does
indeed reproduce the vowel sounds of the German , but - ah - it does
rather detract from the solemnity of the occasion!

        I have just reviewed (for the Wagner Society Journal - should be
in print by next week) another translation of the RING, by Rodolf Sabor -
unfortunately, he doesn't do a lot better. I am not happy with

Hail, my sunlight!
Hail, my sky!

(HER sunlight? HER sky?) This is doubleplusungood!

Dr. Jane Susanna ENNIS
http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/9957/
"I feel so sorry for people who don't have cats -they have to make such a
big fuss of their children......"