Subject: Re: Radmila Bakocevic
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Fri, 29 May 1998 20:49:57 EDT

In a message dated 5/29/98 8:00:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> Her repertoire included the title role in Beatrice di Tenda, Jaroslavna in
>  Prince Igor, Adriana Lecouvreur, the Roberto Devereux Elisabetta, Antonida
> in
>  A Life for the Tsar, Poppea, Cherubino, Giulietta in Les Contes d'Hoffmann,
>  Pauline in The Gambler, Minnie, Manon Lescaut, Olga in The Maid of Pskov,
>  Marie in The Bartered Bride, Mlada in Dalibor, the title role in R.
Strauss'
>  Salome, Tatiana, Iolanthe, Lisa in Pique Dame, Aida, the Ballo Amelia,
>  Elisabetta di Valois, the Ernani Elvira, the Forza Leonora, the Boccanegra
>  Amelia, Violetta and Elisabeth in Tannhauser.

As I just told Enzo, I saw her at my first Staatsoper performance in Vienna in
1970..as Marguerite in Faust...with a rather-over-the-hill Kmennt as Faust,
Ghuiselev subbing for Ghiaurov as Mefistofele..and Milnes, 3 days after his
Vienna Macbeth debut, as Valentin.

I had not heard her previously at the Met - my only impression of her that
night was that she hadn't had an ounce of stage rehearsal and was clueless
where to go on stage. Apart from a glorious-sounding Milnes, it was not a
great evening. I prefer to remember the performances I saw later that week
(e.g. a Zauberfloete with a young Auger as the Queen, the Macbeth with Ludwig
and Milnes, a Don Carlos with Jurinac, a Nozze with Janowitz, and Jurinac's
25th anniversary Rosenkavalier..with Popp subbing as Sophie..quite a week :D)

Simon