Subject: 1998-99 Met Telecast Nominations
From: Kenneth Howard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 17 Mar 1998 07:45:51 PST

It is my understanding that CENERENTOLA is in the can as is CAPRICCIO if
was always taped as rumored.  SAMSON (because it is Domingo) has been or
will be taped.  No doubt the Pavarotti gala will be televised as well.

My question to the forum is this:  since the Met tends to tape a season
in advance, what operas being presented in the 1998-99 season would you
like the Met to consider for telecast the following season?

My choices are:

*QUEEN OF SPADES - not just because it is Domingo, but I like the work,
and I have heard that the production is quite excellent.

*SUSANNAH - for Ramey, Fleming and the work itself

*KATYA KABANOVA - I know, I am in a Slavic mode, but I think that
Malfitano is going to do a bang-up job (as also with MAKROPULOS - which
should also be preserved) - besides there are enough AIDA, BOHEME, and
CARMEN videos out to choke a horse.

To cultivate an audience, you must expose them to the other riches of
the operatic world.

As for NYCO, they will be telecasting LIZZIE BORDEN - that should be
interesting and enlightening as well - I don't know that work at all.

Ok, folks - your turn!