Subject: Alagna & Gheorghiu in "Romeo"
From: Marc Musnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 17 Mar 1998 06:29:25 -0500

The couple sang together at the Met last night in the season's revival
of Gounod's "Romeo et Juliette".  Sadly, once again, I remain
unimpressed by both.  He's fine, as long as he doesn't push on the top
and all she has are the high notes and this is a very small voice that
does not carry unless pushed.  Gheorghiu sings flat a lot and Alagna is
sharp; maybe they'll have children who sing in tune.  I thought the
balcony scene was lovely but at no time did I feel either singer to have
"star caliber".  Now I fully understand their careers which is based on
the kindness and desperation of the critics, impressarios and the
public.  They record very well but when push comes to shove, on stage
they are far less than expected.
--
Marc Musnick
e-mail address:  [log in to unmask]