Subject: Terfel in Stockholm
From: Per Backstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 17 Mar 1998 08:09:10 +0100

Yesterday we were very lucky here in Stockholm, that is those of us who
bought tickets early.
Bryn Terfel mad his first appearance in our concert hall,
"Konserthuset", big hall. It was filled, with a filled choir gallery and
even many people on the sides of the stage.

Terfel gave a recital, together with pianist Malcolm Martineau,
consisting of
Schubert: 8 songs, including a dramatic Erlko:nig, with a ghostlike
Erlenko:nig
Schumann: Belsatzar and Mein Scho:ner Stern. Belsatzar was  really an
experience, such interpretation.
Brahms: Vier ernste Gesa:nge. These are new to me. Terfel sang them so
good that I was almost bursting into tears. (I try to avoid that)
Finzi: Let us garlands bring.

Having sung these, in a way that showed that he is one of the greatest
lieder singers today, he said "Well, now I have done my work and can
enjoy myself", anothr example of his great humour.
He sang from Camelot: How to handle a woman. Great!
Then he turned to the audience in he choir gallery, who had bee sitting
behind him until then, and sang a Welsh folk song about a dying soldier
who asks for his harp to sing a last song. Terfel sounds great backward
too.
He continued with Flanders & Swann (music hall repertoire?) The gasman,
and after Schubert's Die Forelle another F&S Hippopotamus. He wanted us
to join in in the efrain, but it was a bit too difficul when you had not
heard it before

He then distributed the flowers he had been given to some ladies sitting
in the stage seats, and hrow some small ones out to the audience in the
salls.

Interesting is that Malcolm Martineau got one solo bow, after which
Terfel had one. It's obvious that they enjoy working together.

Someone may wonder why I post about this on opera-list too, having sent
one to lieder-list (not crossposting, I think, as I have written twice),
but Terfel is an opera singer to, but we will probably never hear him in
that capacity here in Stockholm. But he did gave us an impression of
what he is capable of, which is much.

After the concert he signed records, I bought Elijah (not quite sure
that I like it in English, but it's at least interesting to hear it that
way too), and got a wonderful smile from him.

Such extraordinay charm!

Per Ba:ckstro:m
Stockholm,Sweden