Subject: Re: What is a GREAT OPERA?
From: Operalust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 17 Mar 1998 00:00:32 EST

In a message dated 3/16/98 12:17:35 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

<<Alan Savada says of Samson and Dalila:

>Unfortunately, it really is not a great opera.

Humm. What constitutes a great opera? And how do we decide?
Would we even think of saying this about a Donizetti opera? Or a
Rossini opera? Or an early Verdi opera? How many operas can we
apply the term "great" to? Samson WORKS well when it is DONE well.

The current Met production and its musical values do Camille
Saint-Saens an injustice.>>

NUALA has raised a GREAT question.
What does make an opera "GREAT"?
And I guess that when it boils down to it....it is simply just EACH PERSON's
honest OPINION.

Respectfully,
(IMHO) the great ALAN J. SAVADA, C.T.C.
Washington, DC

<<If you ask me what I came into this world to do,
I will tell you I came to live out loud>>--Emile Zola
****************LIFE IS A CABERNET!