Subject: Re: Beatrice Uria-Monzon
From: DAN KESSLER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 16 Mar 1998 17:03:23 -0500

At 02:36 PM 3/16/98 -0500, Paul Scherer wrote:
>Is anyone familiar with her?
>
>                 PScherer

Yes, I heard her at the Opera Bastille in a staged performance of Berlioz's
LA DAMNATION DE FAUST by Luca Ronconi a little over a year ago.  It was
that production taken to Paris from Turin or Bolognia, not sure which.  I
know it is not an opera but ever since Harry Kupfer staged it more or less
successfully for Brussels, I believe, everyone is staging it now.
Sam Ramey and Jerry Hadley were also in the cast.  I didn't find her all
that impressive...a rather dowdy looking singer...vocally, nothing very
special. I happened to run into Herbert Breslin at the intermission at the
Bastille and he said that she would be coming to the Met to sing CARMEN.  I
had the imrpession that he was going to represent her.
Dan Kessler