Subject: Pavarotti Sure Did Sing
From: PFornatar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 16 Mar 1998 15:49:19 EST

     While at my voice lesson today, my teacher, a soprano of yesteryear
beginning with Boris Goldovsky and throughout Italy, America and Canada,
mentioned she sat with her score for Exlir of Love. I said that I thought
Pavarotti had done well for a man his age.
     She laughed and said, "There aren't many  who do better--young or old."
     She said he followed the score and did very well, that it was a difficult
role. She also said that he had been sick. She ended saying, "Whether he was
sick or not, or could or couldn't walk, he still sang the part better than
most of the tenors around.
      No, he didn't sound like he did twenty years ago. I can't find anyone
else who still does. I envy Mr. Vitale's great moving experience in the
theater. One wonders if he would have had the same afternoon with Jerry
Hadley.
      I hope Pavarotti's physical problems clear up so that he can support
better. I also hope he sings until his voice is gone.  IMO there is no tenor
today that gives the same qualities to his audience. It's his own "magic" that
many of us love.
      And the saint who criticized his voice because of his new "love" is a
laugh!