Subject: Pavarotti
From: Greg and Kathy Berg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 16 Mar 1998 11:36:03 +0000

Bergitas here.    I find myself with curiously mixed feelings about
Luciano Pavarotti's performance in the Elixir broadcast.  On the one
hand,  he is remarkably well-preserved for a singer in his sixties -
and there were some lovely moments.   But Pavarotti has never sounded
quite so "elderly" - and I was dismayed by how little penetration and
potency the voice had.  And this brings up a tough question. . . if
Mr. Pavarotti is to continue singing for any significant length of
time,  what roles should he do?  The sound I heard Saturday doesn't
seem appropriate for any of the darker, heavier things which have been
an increasingly important part of his repertoire over the last several
years.   But the lighter roles are higher, for the most part,  aren't
they?  They would seem to be pretty much out of his grasp by now.  My
friend Marshall Anderson made what strikes me as a very sensible
suggestion the other day - that maybe Pavarotti should call it quits
on the opera stage and limit himself entirely to concerts where
amplification and transposition and prudent programming are all
available to him.

In the meantime,   anybody want to bet that the Novemeber 22 Gala will
become Pavarotti's Met Farewell Gala?  Of course,  a lot of you also
expected Pav to cancel all of his Calafs at the beginning of the
season and he managed to sing them after all.   He has surprised us
before. . . but it can't go on forever,  and I'm sure that more and
more of his ardent admirers are hoping that the career winds down
sooner rather than later.

Greg Berg    Racine, WI