Subject: Re: SAMSON -- What constitutes a great opera? (fwd)
From: Harold Byrnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 16 Mar 1998 09:35:23 -0500

Nualla Hallinan wrote:

>Alan Savada says of Samson and Dalila:

>Unfortunately, it really is not a great opera.

Well, what can one expect from a composer characterized during his time
as "almost a genius"? He wrote an "almost" great opera.

One might mention that in the discussion about composers who wrote well
in all mediums, I think Saint-Saens should be included. Although
certainly not a Mozart, he did write creditable operas, symphonic works,
chamber music, and songs. By today's standards, I think he might qualify
for the "genius" sobriquet, especially in view of his other interests,
which went far beyond those of the conventional composer. In fact, he
might almost be classified as a "universal man". Hal

Harold Byrnes ([log in to unmask]) No attachments
                           ([log in to unmask]) Attachments

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]