Subject: SAMSON -- What constitutes a great opera? (fwd)
From: Nuala Hallinan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 16 Mar 1998 11:17:00 EST

Alan Savada says of Samson and Dalila:

>Unfortunately, it really is not a great opera.

Humm. What constitutes a great opera? And how do we decide?
Would we even think of saying this about a Donizetti opera? Or a
Rossini opera? Or an early Verdi opera? How many operas can we
apply the term "great" to? Samson WORKS well when it is DONE well.

The current Met production and its musical values do Camille
Saint-Saens an injustice. If my introduction to the opera
had been the recent performance I attended, then I certainly would
not think much of the opera. For those who don't know it, I would
recommend listening to the Pretre recording with Rita Gorr and
John Vickers. You will hear a very different opera from what the
Met is currenty passing off as Samson.

Nuala Hallinan