Subject: Pavarotti´s concert in Valencia/Carreras recording of La Juive
From: Antonio Planchart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 15 Mar 1998 12:53:09 -0400

I want to clarify some facts about the concert given by Luciano Pavarotti
in Valencia at March 7, since I read the post of Judy Kennedy, who wrote
that La Stampa reported this concert as a complete triumph, pleasing the
critics and the 50,000 audience members.

Well, I have some commentaries to do:

1.- There weren4t 50,000 members of the audience, because:

a.- La Plaza Monumental de Valencia -where the concert took place- has only
18,000 seats.
b.- Due to the tickets price -too expensive-, only 10,000 seats were sold.

2.- Venezuelan critics made very destructive reports about the concert,
saying that Pavarotti should retire, that his voice is not the same, that
he is a shadow...

I attended the concert, and I thin that Pav was very good, although he is
not, obviously, the same Pav that thrilled New Yor 26 years ago with 9 high
C4s. But, for God4s sake, the poor guy is 62 years old. The voice can4t be
the same anyway, and yes, he could be better. I think that his voice was a
little damaged by those Radames, Cheniers, Otellos... But I think that he
was ok in this concert, and I enjoyed it. Just my opinion.

The cast of Carreras4 recording of La Juive is the following:

Jose Carreras (Eleazar); Julia Varady (Rachel); June Anderson (Princess
Eudossia); Ferruccio Furlanetto (Cardinal de Brogni) and Dalmacio Gonzalez
(Prince Leopoldo). The conductor was Antonio d4Almeida.