Subject: Re: Mr. Wilson's Lohengrin
From: DAN KESSLER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 16 Mar 1998 00:47:21 -0500

At 10:06 AM 3/15/98 +0900, Nakamura Akira wrote:
>Fiorella S. Beckmeier wrote:
>
>> To invoke Asian theater in defence of Mr. Wilson's ideas is to disregard
>> the
>> deep cultural, spiritual and phylosophical differences from which Asian
>> theatre and opera respectively sprung.  Imposing one upon the other is
>> obliterate the very essence of both.
audiences accepted them favorably.

>BTW, some people wrote that Wilson's _Lohengrin_ was influenced by
>Kabuki.  As I have not seen Wilson's _Lohengrin_, I cannot say for
>certain, but reading many posts, I think that it has Noh influence
>rather than Kabuki.  (Simply put, Noh is a highly stylized and static
>theater, whereas Kabuki is more animated and fast-moving.)

Yes, you're absolutely right about the Wilson production.  For one who has
traveled twice to Japan and seen theater there...Wilson's work is much more
influenced by Noh-Theater rather than Kabuki or even Bunraku puppet theater
might be rasied as an infuence.
Dan Kessler