Subject: Re: Going to Vienna Monday and need help!
From: NBPalmer1 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Mar 1998 21:09:10 EST

Dear Michael,

I afraid that I cannot help you with an inexpensive hotel in Wien.   Although
my wife and I visit there often we always stay with a friend who is on the
music staff of the Staatsoper, so I really know nothing about hotels at all.
But I believe there may be reasonable places to stay in the Nashmarkt area
which is only two stops on the U-Bahn from the Staatsoper.

However, I am on the monthly mailing list for the theatres, so here is the
schedule for your dates.

STAATSOPER

25/3    MEISTERSINGER  cond Wallat.  Pieczonka, Bonig, Weikl, Wimberger,
Kobel, Gati, Hornik, Tichy, Kasemann, Jelosits,Johnson, Sramek, Mayr, Smith,
Schade, Bankl.    Not too brilliant, I'm afraid, but if you are there, and you
don't have to pay too much...!  Very old-fashioned staging.  Begins 17.00

26/3   HOFFMANN  cond Markl.  Dessay (wonderful), Coelho, (OK), Isokoski
(good),Kirchschlager (excellent young singer, fine career ahead), Boschkawa,
Zednik, Ruggero Raimondi, Sabbatini, Hopferwieser, Kasemann, Monarcha,
Moisiuc, Bankl, Pop.  This is more than just promising.  I have not seen this
production yet, but it is of good repute.  Begins 18.30

27/3   Ballet  WOLFGANG AMADE.  It's about the Mozart/Salieri relationship.
Beyond that I know nothing.  Begins 20.00.

28/3   DIE SCHWEIGSAME FRAU.  Now this is a serious opportunity to experience
a pretty rare Strauss opera in a good new production!   Fine cast too.
cond. Stein.  Dessay, Raimondi, Sima, Winsauer, Hawlata (excellent
bass),Skovhus
(American listers are always enthusiastic about his lieder recitals, but I am
less sure!), Kobel, Weber, Schubert, Sramek.  Begins 19.30

29/3  MEISTERSINGER   Same as above.  Nice way to spend your last night,
proceeding joyously into the night air afterwards, and putting to one side all
the stresses and strains of the previous days.  Sets you up in a good frame of
mind for the long flight home too!

VOLKSOPER

25/3  DIE CSARDASFURSTIN  (Kalman)  A good echt cast for such an operetta
Begins 19.00

26/3  TITUS (aka La Clemenza di Tito - Mozart)  Reasonable cast.  Begins 19.00

27/3  WIENER BLUT (J. Strauss)  Again, echt!   19.00

28/3  DER FIDELE BAUER  (Leo Fall)  Don't know this operetta at all.   19.00

29/3  CSARDASFURSTIN    as above.

I have not given you the Volksoper casts, upon the assumption that they
probably won't mean too much to you.  Let me know if you would like them,
however.

Hope all this helps, and that your visit will be just as you would wish - a
celebration of a life.

Regards    NICOLAS PALMER   London