Subject: Re: Met commentaries
From: Marc Musnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 15 Mar 1998 09:54:07 -0500

The reviews were not favorable and that usually hits home but the performances
are sold out and the bottom line is important.  I'm sure no two people attend
the same performance.  Opinions will vary greatly.  My reaction was very
negative.  This was my third production of the opera at the Met.  The prior
production was very straightfoward.  It was appropriate to approach it in a
modern manner.  All of this is very healthy.  For me, with the exception of
the orchestra's superb playing of the opera's Prelude, and their overall
exceptional playing, and the production itself the first 40 minutes, it
drained me with its monotony.  Once again, I salute Heppner and Voigt for
exceptional singing.

"to the ladies and gentleman on this list, who have consistently trashed
the recent Lohengrin -"