Subject: Anita Cerquetti/Whatever became of?/Details of Pavaro tti´s concert in Valencia/Ingrid Haubold
From: Antonio Planchart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Mar 1998 18:35:12 -0400

A couple of days ago, I purchased an Anita Cerquetti4s CD of the DECCA
serie "Grandi Voci". I had listened about this soprano, but I never had
actually heard her voice, since she did only one complete recording (La
Gioconda), and this recital. I am very impressed, and now I think that her
early retirement (she was only 30 when she decided to leave) is a great
tragedy, because she had a WONDERFUL voice of dramatic soprano. She had the
non frequent insctint of correct phrasing combined with a refined line. Her
"Pace, mio dio" is comparable to Ponselle4s one, and I only missed a
Caballe-esque pianissimo at "invan la pace". Her "Anchio dischiuso" is
superb. I want to now about the availability of live recordings of this
lady.

--------------

Ingvar Wixell did several recordings: Tosca (Caballi/Carreras/cond. Davis),
Ballo (Caballi, Carreras, cond. Davis), Trovatore (Pavarotti, Sutherland,
Horne, Ghiaurov, cond. Bonynge), Un Giorno di Regno (Carreras, Cossotto,
Norman, cond. Gardelli), Don Giovanni (Arroyo, Te Kanawa, Ganzarolli,
Freni, Burrows), among others.

Viorica Cortez was an excellent Rumanian mezzo that visited Caracas many
times. She did Carmen, Trovatore (with Bergonzi and Mastromei), Eboli and
Adalgisa (with Charlie Handelman4s friend Marisa Galvany) and Amneris. She
recorded Azucena with Franco Bonisolli, Raina Kabaivanska and Giorgio
Zancanaro, under the baton of Bruno Bartoletti.

I think that Agnes Baltsa is working a lot with the Wiener Staatsoper, and
I listened that she will do Fedora (?!).

Pavarotti4s concert in Valencia took place in a "plaza de toros" (a place
where the bullfights are doing), and it was the first time when the Pav did
a recital in this kind of stage. Valencia is near Caracas, at only 110
miles of distance.

I saw Ingrid Haubold as Siegliende a month ago, and she had volume, but her
tone is harsh and she has a unpleasant vibrato. She couldn4t convince me
that she was the young Siegliende of the Wagner4s libretto.