Subject: The Handelman "Act"
From: "CHARLES H. HANDELMAN" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 15 Mar 1998 00:57:44 -0500

I cracked up at Andrew Cooper "coining my name' in his mention of the olden
days..describing the commentary as the "Charlie Handelman Act."
 What about the "Mike Richter Act" or the " James Jorden Act"(closed on the
road)??
     You know in Queens College,where I spent most of the days thinking of
running to the Met standing room after classes, I did manage to read the
whole Don Quijote in Spanish..boy is that hard stuff!!!! I do know that the
term "a Quixotic remark" is a common term that is certainly a tribute to
the universality of the character. This is like speaking of "Jeffersonian
Democracy" or " Shakespearian  style." Perhaps in ages to come,when a young
opera fan exclaims, "Oh this is crap! I remember the great bygone days of
June Anderson,Juan Pons, and Maria Ewing," someone will say, "Yes,you made
a Handelmanian comment."
  This sort of stuff is good for the ego,so keep doing it,because even
though i sound modest about this adulation, I really eat it up and know
that it is a fact that Ivan Rebroff was a much finer
baritone/bass/soprano/castrato than  anyone  in the public eye today.
   We shall be posting the dates and places for the Forzas fairly soon...I
do six Minestrones and Ed does a measly two Don Carlos. I just LOVE to look
into his face and exclaim, "Qual BORIA!!!!!"
  Speaking of  Ed, you know we have the greatest time going out to
rehearsals where I get to hear tapes of Richard Tucker (who else) that I
forgot about...Amazing how people (including me at one time) accused him of
lack of legato in his phrasing....We were playing the Italian songs and
they are gorgeous..of course,I keep saying thnat Caruso and only Caruso was
the "other" tenor who could "hook" into the top above the passaggio with
the positively glorious tones of Tucker.
  Look,Gigli and Corelli have their own brand of exaggerations...I
recognize Tucker's...but repeated listening will convert you!!!!!! The man
is sensational!  OK....see ya later  as ever Charlie and his act.

P.S. Just located a lovely Newsgroup for people who like music and who have
some knowledge of Italian.I got some nice feedback,despite my operatic
italian.

go to:   it.arti.musica.classica