Subject: Re: Spoiled by a performance???
From: "CHARLES H. HANDELMAN" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Mar 1998 09:49:20 -0500

Did you say "spoiled?"  Those who know me will tell you I am spoiled by 95%
of what I saw or heard starting a long time ago,and continue to be spoiled
every time I hear many singers,but I list below a few standouts that I just
cannot get out of my mind and in which roles I am totally  unable to accept
anyone else performing:

NO.ONE is Risė Stevens as Carmen. I just could never get interested in ANY
carmen after her..even my beloved Resnik,so great in the role,with many
interesting shades and attention to detail.But the great Risė was so sultry
and brash and "bigger than life."Maybe it is because I was 16,and then
joined her club and you know very early impresions last a lifetime.I just
could not "accept" even the best Carmens since Risė,even recognizing their
fine interpretations.

 Of course the Milanov voice and phrasing has haunted me since 1951, and I
have never gotten much out of subsequent Leonoras or Gicondas. Imagine that
I could never accept Tebaldi in Forza,and even Andrea Chenier! What would I
give for a "second-string" Tebaldi Maddalena right now!!!!!

 I cannot get excited over the dramatic Verdi-type tenors since the
triumvirate of Corelli,DelMonaco,and especially Tucker. Since those old
boys,. the goosebumps just do not flow.

 Having lost our beloved Leonie, I think more and more of her Senta,which
she OWNED..Only the first Crespin Senta was comparable,but essentially
Leonie WAS Senta and any other soprano in that role flops badly in
comparison.

Finally, I miss Kurt Baum. You just cannot laugh any more at the opera. We
need a Kurt to keep us from falling asleep in those dull moments of our
lives. as ever Charlie