Subject: what happened to... / siciliana
From: Leslie Barcza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 20 Mar 1998 23:37:40 -0500

Among the people sought in the "whatever happened to..." thread, I
had a few notes:  Gre Brouwenstein is the Sieglinde in one of the
best Die Walkuere's, namely the RCA Leinsdorf opposite Vickers and
Nilsson.  Caterina Ligendza is von Karajan's third norn.  Jeanine
Altmeyer was prominent in Boulez(Chereau)'s Ring, playing, as I
recall, Gutrune and perhaps Freia as well.

Someone asked recently about the words Bjoerling sings in his
recording  oposite Tebaldi. [I assume this is the post Brady refers to
re: the Siciliana] I recall this recording being the first opera
record I heard as a child: it was played constantly in our house, as
well as Toscanini's Boheme & Beethoven symphonies.  Later I
discovered that everyone else seemed to sing it wrong.......except it
was Bjoerling who was departing from normal, of course.  I know he
didn't sing it in Swedish, but I wonder, too, where those words came
from: are they a common variant that others have used?  I think this
is the question Brady was asking....

I wonder: does anyone else feels spoiled by a performance, making
it hard to listen to anyone else? For example, after Toscanini's
Boheme everybody seems slow; after Albanese's delicacy, every Mimi
seems butch.  Others?