Subject: Mascagni's Turiddu's Siciliana
From: Robert T Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 20 Mar 1998 20:11:40 -0500

At 07:52 PM 3/20/98 -0500, Brady McElligott wrote:
>Oddly, it seems that someone misread my posting regarding Mascagni's opening
>siciliana in Cavalleria (Turiddu's ode to Lola)...

I'm not surprised. "Siciliana" is hardly as familiar a term as, say,
"minuet." For those who don't have access to Groves, here's what it says,
severely trimmed:

"SICILIANA. A dance rhythm closely allied to the pastorale. The name is
derived from a dance-song popular in Sicily... (there are) Neopolitan and
Sicilian, the latter being like jigs, written in rondo form, in 12-8 or 6-8
time. The siciliana was sometimes used for the slow movement of suites and
sonatas but is of more frequent occurrence in vocal music... The sicililana
is generally written in 6-8 but sometimes in 12-8 and is usually in a minor
key. It is sometimes in one movement but usually ends with a da capo
repetition of the first part. It should be played rather quickly, but not so
fast as the pastorale, care being taken not to drag the time and to avoid
all strong accentuation, smoothness being an important characteristic of
this species of composition."

End of class. Any questions?

---Robert T. Jones ([log in to unmask])

        "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
         You must be mad or you wouldn't have come here."
                (The Cheshire Cat)