Subject: Hei-Kyung Hong & Rick Croft run down Bad Boy Dwayne/Job Announcement
From: Don Weightman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 20 Mar 1998 10:33:12 -0500

Salvete Listerati:

Had a wonderful time at the Washington Opera's DON G. last night. For the
most part the cast, production, and music came together for me very nicely,
and I was left wanting to do what Joseph II did after *another* of
Mozart's operas: give orders that supper would be served and the
performance repeated.

The feel of the set was definitely chiaroscuro -- I wanted to say to the
Don: "This is inbred Habsburg and Almanach de Gotha country, Jack. They
take their bloodlines and their women's purity seriously. You best be
careful."

Which Dwayne Croft's cleanly sung, sardonic, reckless  and a bit nasty Don
was not. The demonic in this production came more perhaps a malign Fate, in
the persons of the pursuers of this Very Bad Boy than it did from the Big
Guy Himself.  Those retaliatory forces were very ably captained by brother
Rick's Don Ottavio and Hong's Zerlina.

This Ottavio was no wimp, but a gentlemen fighting, and fighting hard, with
someone who was not playing by Marquis of Queensbury rules; Hong gave us an
enchanting Zerlina, with real depth to the character. She also sang quite
beautifully: the caress with which she opened "Batti batti" had me melting.

I enjoyed the comedy from Zeporello; Pendatchanska (Elvira) strikes me as a
major talent in need of some significant polishing. The voice, character
and impact were all there, just wanting more fine tuning and development.

The fly in the ointment was Rautio's Donna A.  The woman has a HUGE voice,
but little control over a blowsy top. The volume -- and, sorry to say, the
diction -- came from the School of Sutherland; however, unlike Dame Joan,
Rautio couldn't hit the notes cleanly. There were some nice bits when she
came down off mega forte; mostly I just let her singing go by, trying not
to let it spoil what was otherwise a splendid night at the opera. But I did
get annoyed when Rautio seemed to be dragging Pendatchanska off pitch
during a couple of the ensembles.

And, although I'll grant that the overture was a tad Furtwanglerian, I
thought that Maestro Fricke did a fine job molding and pacing the music.
You could see the wonders of Mozart's architecture, feel the drama, and
savor almost every note from every player in the orchestra.

Abstract: the brothers Croft and Hong can sing Mozart for me any ol' time.
They did exemplary work. Most everyone else (with that  one aforementioned
exception) was very good indeed.

There are a lot of people on this List who might qualify for the job
announced in the post which follows below my .sig.  I got the message from
another list; I know nothing of the Benton Foundation except that it seems
to be trying to support white hat work on the Net and in new media.

Don