Subject: Re: help-cinema at opera/Cav. libretto (fwd)
From: "Richard M. Berrong" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 20 Mar 1998 09:37:34 -0500

Someone wrote recently:

> Incidentally, there IS a reason (however mundane) for the substitution of
> words in Turiddu's song to Lola.  Being a siciliana,  it appears that Mascagna
> decided to be extremely faithful to the origin of the type of piece, and used
> Sicilian (or was it Neapolitan?--something more exotic than Italian, anyway)
> in the original; many performed and recorded versions of the opera have
> translated the original into a "real" language (!!!) (DON'T FLAME ME--I'M
> BEING FACETIOUS, IF YOU COULDN'T TELL)--Italian--so as to make singers and
> audiences feel more at home.  Silly, isn't it--but anyway, there it is.

Since I've seen this misinformation before, I thought I'd point out that
Mascagni was not siciliano - much less siciliana :) - but from Livorno.
This is particularly relevant, because the opera, written for northern
Italians, is, quite frankly, a very negative portrayal of those "animals,"
southern Italians.  (NOT my point of view, of course.)

Richard Berrong