Subject: Anna Bolena / Souliotis and Callas
From: DivaDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 19 Mar 1998 22:21:21 EST

Charlie H. opined:
> 10. Elena Suliotis. PECCATO!!!!! The instrument was something awesome,...
>  but she, like so many others, played
>  too many Callas records, and faded into virtual oblivion. Get her early
>  tapes because there is much there to thrill you.

I just got the Decca/London-reissued <Anna Bolena> which was my first exposure
to Souliotis (on Lp) and I thought then she was terrific.  I still do.  The
performance also boasts Marilyn Horne at her very finest as "mia rivale!",
Joan Seymour.  John Alexander's timbre is a shade brilliant for my taste, but
he sings Percy magnificently.  Nicolai Ghiaurov is perfectly cast as the
villanous Henry VIII , and is in his vocal prime.  Beautifully shaped
orchestral and choral work led by Varviso.  Simply splendid.

I think this is my favorite Donizetti opera.  Not to be missed, of course, is
La Callas.  It was probably the pinnacle of her career, vocally and
interpretatively, that spring night in 1957 when she sang Anna at La Scala and
everything worked perfectly.

David Claris
"Diva without a Stage"